Thursday, October 18, 2007

Seasoning a cast-iron pan

I've seen many sites out there for how to season a cast-iron pan and most of them are wrong. If you ever see any recommendations to season a pan with vegetable oil of any kind, then you'll know that whoever is writing it has no idea what they're talking about. Vegetable oil leaves a sticky black coating on your pans that is almost impossible to get off and totally interferes with the natural 'seasoning' or non-stick layer that you're trying so hard to build.

Here's a good site that has it right. They are selling things on that site and I have no affiliation with them and have no idea if their products are good or complete garbage. But they, at the very least, seem to know how to take care of cast-iron cookware.

Hmm, if the vegetable oil is leaving a sticky black coating on your pans, imagine what it's doing inside your body... :o Food for thought!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

Thanks for the link! I love my cast iron, and I just found out I'm doing something wrong-letting them sit before I clean them, and then scrubbing with an abrasive pad. I am going to re-season, I think, bc eggs still stick.

4:29 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home