Thursday, September 21, 2006

Weight Expectations

I'm going to do you all a favour and spare you the obligatory post on Intermittent Fasting - the trend that seems to be sweeping through low-carb bloggery like a tidal wave. Everywhere you look, people are dropping meals. It's happening left, right and centre. Not that I disagree with it - fasting is how I lost the majority of my weight and I still practice it now... intermittently, of course :) I just think that everyone else is covering it so well there is no need for me to sing its praises at this point.

Instead, I will blog about weight expectations.

I think once you start dipping into the territory of 'normal weight', things start happening. Firstly, people get excited and are happy for you. Then, they inevitably become concerned. I cannot tell you the number of people who have told me that I've 'lost enough weight' or that I need to 'slow down', which is ridiculous, considering how slow my weight loss has been, or that 'you're already so skinny!', when meanwhile, I outweigh them by 20 lbs and I'm 2 inches shorter than they are. Or even if I don't outweigh them and they are overweight, the still get freaked out by the idea of me becoming 'normal'.

"I think you're meant to be a bit chubby! You look good that way! Don't get too thin!"

Um, is it just me, or is that totally offensive? Meant to be chubby?? What the hell does that mean?

Why do people do this? Are they genuinely concerned? Are they just so used to seeing a fat face that anything else is foreign to them? Are they jealous or threatened? I had a 'friend' the other day tell me in this unimpressed tone: "Oh my God. You've lost your ass, you know."

Who says that? Who takes it upon themselves to let someone know that they have no ass anymore. Would I say, "Oh my God. You're ass is as big as a house,"? No. No I would not. Even if it were true. I would probably keep that little nugget to myself.

People can be real assholes.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Red Delicious said...

Oh yes. I've also had, "Some people are just meant to be rounder, you know - I think you're one of those people who looks better with some 'meat on their bones', you know?"

There are no words to express how annoying or just plain wrong this is.

1:26 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home