Thursday, April 13, 2006

Homocysteine and Insulin Resistance

Check out this link:
http://www.mercola.com/2000/oct/1/insulin_homocysteine.htm

I find it interesting that the implication in this article is that increased insulin levels may have a correlation and indeed a negative impact on homocysteine levels because of the findings of the study of obese children. This may be true, but it doesn't jive entirely. I have done everything humanly possible to improve my insulin sensitivity through diet and have only had marginal results. I still suffer from occasional hypoglycemia and still have significant fat stores around my abdomen - both of which definitely point to raised insulin - but my diet is, in every way, picture-perfect in terms of macronutrient ratios and overall carbohydrate load, so it's not like my raised insulin levels are stemming from my diet. But I had never thought to check out my homocysteine levels or tried to improve my methylation before now.

Could it be that increased homocysteine levels and improper methylation cycles can cause raised insulin levels and decreased insulin sensitivity and not the other way around? Or perhaps they each contribute to the other? I'm sure they are two factors that are synergistic and certainly not isolated conditions that have no effect on each other. Either way, I'm hoping that improved methylation will improve my insulin levels and my attempts at getting rid of my excess belly fat. If it does happen, we'll know that this methylation business is more than it's cracked up to be and that these studies may have it backwards.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home