Thursday, April 27, 2006

Mmm protein

I finally received my copies of Optimal Nutrition and Homo Optimus in the mail yesterday. I'm still waiting for the molybdenum... what's the point if it takes this long to arrive??

Anyway, I haven't started reading the books yet (that's for this weekend), but I do recall seeing the following on the ON site in regard to weight loss ratios:

The main exception from that rule is the state of obesity. In such a case, the proportion between protein and fat should be changed to 1 : 2 in the initial period of 3-4 weeks (by the increase in protein and the reduction in a fat intake), in order to stimulate the catabolism of the stored fat. The amount of carbohydrate should be kept low, preferably at no more then 50 g/day. Subsequently, when the weight loss is well on the way, the amounts of protein and fat can be adjusted to the ideal proportion.

I find it interesting that it says that the ratios change by an increase in protein and reduction of fat, but doesn't say how much to increase the protein by. The implication is that one should not necessarily reduce calories, but just change the protein amount as well as the accompanying ratio.

Here's more:

There are many approaches to weight loss, new ones are invented all the time but the number of obese people continually increases. What then is the opinion of science regarding the effectiveness of these methods? Every dramatic reduction of food quantity markedly accelerates ageing, particularly of blood vessels. In the obese people treated with a diet containing 1200-1500 kcal and forced to exercise, the cloudiness of serum (hyperlipidaemia) increased even further. Low-calorie diets are ineffective in the permanent treatment of obesity. Low-fat diets cause an increase in lipid production, depression and overall exhaustion.The treatment of obesity with fasting is totally ineffective. The final result always failure. Fasting causes apathy, the lowering of the perception of morality, the lowering of mental abilities, asocial and egoistical behaviour. The dropping of the fast produces an improvement in mental numbness. Based on experiments with isotopes, it was shown that fasting, diuretic drugs or products derived from the thyroid gland cause loss of water and lean body mass with minimal, if at all, loss of fat.

It's funny, as crazy as his description of what happens to you when you fast is, I have definitely shown signs of all those symptoms: lowered mental abilities, antisocial behaviour... etc.

Now I've been eating a diet of approximately 1400 - 1500 calories per day with some (slight) success in reducing weight. This is also, however, the level of calories I was eating when my body decided to start gaining (prior to introducing the high fat element of LCHF). Only by increasing my fat intake was I able to stop the weight gain. I've tried eating within the proper ON ratios and not lost any weight that way - I've maintained just fine, but not actually lost weight. I have only been on the diet for just under a year, however, so I don't even know if I was on it long enough for my body to start the weight loss process.

I certainly don't want to negatively affect my blood vessels or my thyroid by cutting calories, but I don't see myself losing weight at 1800 to 2300 calories a day. I'm not supposed to use the weight loss ratio for more than 3-4 weeks. On top of that, I am not even obese. I am only about 20 - 30 lbs overweight. I'm sure Dr. Kwasniewski would not recommend that ratio for me at all, let alone for the 3 to 4 weeks. He'd probably suggest that the regular ratio will produce results all on its own. I wonder if you only get really great weight loss results if you go from a high carb diet to ON, like most people do, rather than from a different low carb diet to ON, like I did. I think if you don't have that initial water loss that comes from the introduction of low carb, your results aren't nearly as dramatic.

I'd better get reading to try to answer some of these questions.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home